It has been a busy couple of weeks with the holiday season. I’ve eaten more food than I care to admit, given and received lovely gifts, and enjoyed a number of parties. Overall, it was a greatly enjoyed two weeks.
However, due to the general chaos of the holidays I got behind in a lot of things – this blog being one huge part. So, I am thrilled to return and once again dive into the world of blogging!
Upon my return I have been delighted to find that I was nominated for the Mystery Blogger award by Aubrey at If Mermaids Wore Suspenders. Her blog is a lovely little gold mine of all things musical and literary and I would highly suggest checking it out!
I feel so honored to receive this award (especially from a blogger I admire and enjoy so much). Being relatively new to blogging it is exciting to know that there are people who enjoy what I am posting. I am thrilled to participate in such an inspiring and uplifting award.
The rules for the award are simple. The creator Okoto Enigma explains:
1) Display the award logo on your blog.
2) Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
3) Mention the creator of the award and provide a link.
4) Tell your readers 3 things about yourself.
5) Answer 5 questions from the nominee.
6) Nominate 10 – 20 bloggers.
7) Notify your nominees by leaving a comment on their blog.
8) Ask your nominees 5 questions of your choice, including 1 weird or funny question.
9) Share the link to your best post.
So, without further delay, here are 3 things about me:
1. Why yes, I have a favorite song!
This is one of those impossible questions that everyone hates. How are you supposed to pick your favorite song out of the countless songs created in the past ten years…much less all of time. However, just like with my best friend (I denied having a best friend until it was to obvious to deny), this song is so obviously my favorite, this question is now simple to answer.
A bit of history of this song before I go on. I found this song free on Itunes sometime late September of 2012. However, after I downloaded it I didn’t really start listening to it for another couple of weeks. But once I did listen to it I couldn’t stop. I found myself continually going back to it. I would come home from dance and listen to it as I finished my homework. I would wake up and put it on.
But I told myself, “This isn’t a song you can choreograph to, not the right style.”
However….one night after coming home from dance and putting the song on my mind practically exploded with choreography (okay, maybe an overstatement, but it felt like an epiphany). I could choreograph that song.
At this time I was starting to listen to music to choose for my senior dance….and this song slowly emerged as the one I was to choreograph. And I proceeded to listen to it about a gazillion times (well over 10,000 times in the course of choreographing it – that was just my Itunes count).
So this song is not only beautiful but also holds great sentimental value to me. There are many more reasons why this song has so clearly become my favorite, so I’ll just make a simple list.
- I’ve listened to it over 10,000 times….in 4 months. (and still loved it)
- I choreographed it (and still loved it)
- I keep hearing new things within the song.
- The lyrics (honestly gorgeous)
- It has grown with me (it meant something different to me when I first heard it than it does today)
- Yo-Yo Ma (his playing is enchanting)
- Aoife O’Donovan (her voice is also enchanting)
I could list more….but I assume you get the picture and want to move on with your life 🙂
2. I have a deaf cat.
And I am obsessed with the little guy. He is honestly the sweetest thing in the world, he is more like a baby than a cat (but a cuddly, furry baby). He is made even more adorable by his deafness. He can sleep forever because he is not disturbed by loud noises (namely – my brother). And he loses people and will meow til he finds you again (sometimes that can be annoying). He is also very vocal – apparently making noise and purring are comforting to deaf cats.
Oh and his name is Oliver and he has an Instagram: @oliveradeafcat
3. I am Ironman…
At least….I’ve performed as Ironman in a dance. I have also been Mr. Tumnus, Davy Jones, and the Secretkeeper. I’ve had opportunities to embody anger, apathy, and anxiety. I have been part of a galaxy and part of a snowstorm. I have been part of countless battles as well as performing abstract pieces.
Now that facts about me are out of the way….time to answer the questions!
- If you could have a conversation with any fictional character, who would it be and why? This is a tough question. Partly because there are a lot of characters I would love have a conversation with. At this particular time, I’m going to go with Hannah Coulter from Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry. I know I have mentioned this book a few times in various posts, but it is truly a wonderful little novel. And right now I want to have a conversation with Hannah Coulter because I want reassurance – I want to talk with someone who has lived her life well and can bestow wisdom and guidance as I continue to approach my future.
- If you were to become a famous musician or singer, what kind of music would you be famous for? Folk or bluegrass, for sure. I think my voice suits it well and I love the mix of simplicity and depth that I often find in this style.
- If you were to become a famous author, what kind of books would you be famous for? This is a bit harder….probably Southern Gothic (or….even just plain American Gothic – doesn’t need to be set in the South).
- Would you rather have someone constantly narrating your life like a voiceover or be constantly followed around by theme music? This is easy, definitely theme music. Constant narration would get annoying and I already listen to music pretty much constantly.
- If it became an option for people to move to another planet, would you move there? Why or why not? Not unless I had to….or of I could simply teleport there. The mere thought of getting in a rocket ship makes me feel ill.
Now for my nominations. Because I am still relatively new to blogging, I cannot nominate as many as the rules call for, but I will nominate as many as I can toward that goal! These people stand out in my head as phenomenal bloggers who regularly share unique and engaging content.
Your questions are:
- If you could be considered an expert at something after 15 years of diligent study/work what would you want to be?
- What is the first thing you would do if you suddenly woke up 100 years in the past?
- What is your pointless “superpower”?
- If you won a free trip to a destination of your choice, where would you go?
- Where is your favorite reading spot?
Finally, here is a link to one of my favorite posts, Conquering Fears with Dreams.
Thanks for taking the time to read this incredibly long post, and thanks again to Aubrey for nominating me for this award! 🙂